Gospel of John Chapter Nineteen

19:1 Then Pilate apprehended Jesus and had him flogged.
19:2 And the soldiers tied together a wreath of thorns and placed it on his head, and dressed him with a purple robe.
19:3 And they approached him saying, “Hail, leader of the Jews!” And they were striking him with their hands.
19:4 Pilate came out again and said to them, “Here, I am bringing him to you, so you may know that I find him not guilty.”
19:5 Jesus then came out wearing the wreath of thorns and the purple robe. Pilate said to them, “Here is the man!”
19:6 When the chief priests and officers saw him, they shouted out, saying, “Crucify, crucify!” Pilate said to them, “Take him yourselves and crucify him; for I find him not guilty.”
19:7 The Jewish officials answered him, “We have a law, and by our law he should die because he claimed to be the Representative of God.
19:8 Once Pilate heard this statement, he was even more afraid;
19:9 and he went back inside the palace and asked Jesus, “Where do you come from?” But Jesus didn’t answer him.
19:10 Pilate said to him, “You don’t respond to me? Do you not understand that I have the authority to crucify you and have the authority to release you?”
19:11 Jesus replied, “You would have no authority over me unless it had been granted to you from the realm above. For this reason, those who delivered me to you have committed the greatest offense.”
19:12 And from that point Pilate sought to release him. But the Jewish officials shouted out, saying, “If you release this man, you are not Caesar’s friend: Because he who makes himself out to be a leader disobeys Caesar.”
19:13 Once Pilate heard these words, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judgment seat in a place called the Pavement – in Hebrew, Gabbatha.
19:14 It was the day of preparation for the Passover. It was about noon. “Here is your leader,” Pilate said to the Jewish officials.
19:15 But they shouted, “Take him away, take him away, crucify him.” Pilate said to them, “Shall I crucify your leader?” The chief priests answered, “We have no leader but Caesar.”
19:16 Then he handed him over to them to be crucified. And they apprehended Jesus and led him away.
19:17 Thus they took Jesus and he was sent out carrying his own stake, to what was called the Place of the Skull – also called Golgotha in Hebrew.
19:18 Here they crucified him and two other men with him – one on each side, with Jesus in the middle.
19:19 Pilate also wrote a title and put it on the stake. It said, “Jesus of Nazareth, leader of the Jews.”
19:20 This title was read by many Judeans because the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city, and it was written in Hebrew, Greek and Latin.
19:21 Then the Jewish chief priests said to Pilate, “Do not write, ‘the leader of the Jews’ but that he claimed to be the leader of the Judeans.”
19:22 Pilate replied, “I wrote what I wrote.”
19:23 After they crucified Jesus, they took his garments and tore them into four pieces – to every soldier a piece. As for his tunic: It was seamless, but was woven into one piece.
19:24 Then they said amongst each other, “Let us not rip it, but cast lots for who will get it.” This carried out the scripture, which says, ‘They divide my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment.1 The soldiers thus did this.
19:25 But standing by the stake of Jesus were his mother and his mother’s sister, Mary – the wife of Cleophas – and Mary Magdalene.
19:26 When Jesus had seen his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing by, he said to his mother, “Madam, here is your son.”
19:27 Then he said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time the disciple took her into his home.
19:28 After this, Jesus, knowing that everything had been accomplished to carry out the Scripture, said: “I am thirsty.”
19:29 A flask full of vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it and put the sponge on a hyssop branch and lifted it to his mouth.
19:30 Then when Jesus had received the vinegar he said, “It has been accomplished!” And he bowed his head and released his spirit.
19:31 Then the Jewish officials – because it was the day of preparation, and so the bodies would not remain on the stake during the Sabbath, as that Sabbath was an important day – asked Pilate that their legs might be broken and so their bodies could be removed.
19:32 Thus the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first and then the other – of those crucified with him.
19:33 But when they came to Jesus’ body and saw it was dead already, they did not break his legs.
19:34 But one of the soldiers pierced the side of his body with a spear, causing blood and water to flow out.
19:35 The man who saw this has stated this and his statement is true. He knows he is telling the truth and he states this so that you may also believe.
19:36 For these things were done to fulfill the Scripture: ‘A bone of him shall not be broken.’2
19:37 And yet another Scripture states, ‘They shall look upon him whom they pierced.’3
19:38 After this, Joseph of Arimathea – being a disciple of Jesus but a secret one for fear of the Jewish officials – asked Pilate if he could remove the body of Jesus, and Pilate gave permission. So he came and carried away his body.
19:39 Nicodemus – who had first approached him by night – also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloe weighing some hundred pounds.
19:40 Thus they took the body of Jesus and wrapped it in linen with the spices – according to Jewish burial custom.
19:41 Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden and in the garden was a new tomb, where no body had yet been laid.
19:42 They laid Jesus’ body there, because it was the Jewish day of preparation and the tomb was nearby.


Footnotes:

1. Verse 19:24. Derived from David’s Psalm 22:18. Here are verses 22:1-19 for context:

For the director of music. To the tune of "The Doe of the Morning." A psalm of David. My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish? My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, but I find no rest. Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the one Israel praises. In you our ancestors put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. To you they cried out and were saved; in you they trusted and were not put to shame. But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by everyone, despised by the people. All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads. "He trusts in the LORD," they say, "let the LORD rescue him. Let Him deliver him, since he delights in Him." Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in You, even at my mother's breast. From birth I was cast on You; from my mother's womb You have been my God. Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help. Many bulls surround me; strong bulls of Bashan encircle me. Roaring lions that tear their prey open their mouths wide against me. I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax; it has melted within me. My mouth is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death. Dogs surround me, a pack of villains encircles me; they pierce my hands and my feet All my bones are on display; people stare and gloat over me. They divide my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment. But you, LORD, do not be far from me. You are my strength; come quickly to help me. (Psalm 22:1-19 NIV)
2. Verse 19:36. This is derived from Psalm 34:20. Here is Psalm 34:18-22 for context:

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. The righteous person may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all; He protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken. Evil will slay the wicked; the foes of the righteous will be condemned. The LORD will rescue His servants; no one who takes refuge in Him will be condemned. (Psalm 34:18-22 NIV)
3. Verse 19:37: This is derived from Zechariah 12:10. Here are verses 12:7-14 for context:
"The LORD will save the dwellings of Judah first, so that the honor of the house of David and of Jerusalem's inhabitants may not be greater than that of Judah. On that day the LORD will shield those who live in Jerusalem, so that the feeblest among them will be like David, and the house of David will be like God, like the angel of the LORD going before them. On that day I will set out to destroy all the nations that attack Jerusalem. And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son. On that day the weeping in Jerusalem will be as great as the weeping of Hadad Rimmon in the plain of Megiddo. The land will mourn, each clan by itself, with their wives by themselves: the clan of the house of David and their wives, the clan of the house of Nathan and their wives, the clan of the house of Levi and their wives, the clan of Shimei and their wives, and all the rest of the clans and their wives." (Zech. 12:7-14 NIV)