Gospel of John Chapter Thirteen

13:1 Now prior to the Passover festival, Jesus knew his time had come for him to depart from this world and go to the Creator – having loved those of his who were in the world, loving them eternally.
13:2 After the evening meal, during which wickedness had entered into the heart of the son of Simon, Judas Iscariot, to turn him over for arrest;
13:3 Jesus, knowing that the Creator had empowered him, and that he had been sent by God and would return to God;
13:4 rose from the meal, removed his robe and wrapped his body with a towel.
13:5 He then poured water into a basin and began washing his disciples’ feet, wiping them with the towel he was wrapped in.
13:6 When he got to Simon Peter, Peter said to him, “Master, are you now going to wash my feet?”
13:7 Jesus responded, saying to him, “You do not understand what I am doing now but you will understand later.”
13:8 Peter said to him, “Never will you wash my feet.” Jesus answered him, “If I don’t wash you, you will have no part with me.”
13:9 Simon Peter said to him, “Master, not just my feet then, but my hands and head as well!”
13:10 Jesus said to him, “Those who have bathed need only their feet washed; the rest of the body is clean. You are clean, but not everyone is.”
13:11 For he knew who was to have him arrested. This was the reason he said, ‘not everyone is clean.’
13:12 When he had washed the feet and put on his robe and sat down at the table again, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done for you?
13:13 You call me teacher and master, rightly so, for I am.
13:14 If I then – your teacher and master – have washed your feet, you also should wash each others’ feet.
13:15 For I have given you an example, to prepare you to do what I have done for you.
13:16 Very truly I say to you, the servant is not greater than his master; and one who is sent is not greater than the one who sent him.
13:17 If you understand these things, you will become happy by doing them.
13:18 I do not speak of all of you – I know who have been chosen. Yet as confirmed in the scriptures, ‘one who shared my bread has raised his heel against me.’1
13:19 From now on I am telling you before it takes place, so that when it does happen, you will trust in me.
13:20 Very truly, I say to you, one who receives those I send receives me; and one who receives me receives Him who sent me."
13:21 After Jesus said this, his spirit became troubled, and he explained, saying, “Very truly, I say to you that one of you will have me arrested.”
13:22 Then the disciples looked at each other, wondering of whom he was speaking.
13:23 Now one of his disciples – whom Jesus loved – leaned onto Jesus’ chest.2
13:24 Simon Peter gestured to this disciple, saying to him, “Tell us who it is that he is speaking of?”
13:25 Leaning back onto Jesus’ chest, he said to him, “Master, who is it?”
13:26 Jesus then responded, “It is the one whom I will give a piece after I have dipped it.” Thus when he dipped the piece, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot.
13:27 After the piece was given, the wickedness entered into him. Then Jesus told him, “What you shall do, do quickly.”
13:28 Now none of those sitting down at the table knew the purpose of what he had said to him.
13:29 For some supposed that since Judas had the money bag, that Jesus was saying to him, ‘buy those things we need for the feast’ - or that he should give something to the poor.
13:30 After having received the piece, Judas immediately left. And it was night.
13:31 Then, after he had left, Jesus said, “Now the Servant of Humanity will be glorified, and God will be glorified by him.
13:32 Since God is glorified by him, God will also honor him with Himself - truly glorifying him.
13:33 My children, I will be with you only for a while longer. You will seek me and as I told the Jewish officials, now I say to you, ‘Where I will depart to, you cannot come.’
13:34 I give you a new instruction – that you love one another: Just as I have loved you, you must also love each other.
13:35 From this everyone will understand that you are my followers – if you love each other."
13:36 Simon Peter then asked, “Master, where are you departing to?” Jesus responded, “Where I depart to, you cannot accompany me now; but you will join me later.”
13:37 Peter said to him, “Master, why can I not accompany you right now? I will give my life for you!”
13:38 Jesus replied, “Will you really give your life for me? Very truly, I say to you, no rooster will crow until you have denied me three times.”

Footnotes

1. Verse 13:18. Psalm 41:9: Here is David’s Psalm 41 (NIV) in entirety:
Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble. The LORD will protect him and preserve his life; He will bless him in the land and not surrender him to the desire of his foes. The LORD will sustain him on his sickbed and restore him from his bed of illness. I said, “O LORD, have mercy on me; heal me, for I have sinned against You.” My enemies say of me in malice, “When will he die and his name perish?” Whenever one comes to see me, he speaks falsely, while his heart gathers slander; then he goes out and spreads it abroad. All my enemies whisper together against me; they imagine the worst for me, saying, “A vile disease has beset him; he will never get up from the place where he lies.” Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me. But You, O LORD, have mercy on me; raise me up, that I may repay them. I know that You are pleased with me, for my enemy does not triumph over me. In my integrity you uphold me and set me in Your presence forever. Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting. Amen and Amen.
2. Verse 13:23. κόλπος (kolpos) refers to the chest.