Gospel of John Chapter Twelve

12:1 Then, six days prior to the Passover, Jesus went to Bethany where Lazarus – whom Jesus revived after his body died – was staying.
12:2 And they made him supper there and Martha was serving, but Lazarus was among those dining at the table with him.
12:3 Mary then took a pound of very expensive ointment of essential oil and applied it to the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.
12:4 But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples, Simon’s son, who was to have him arrested, said,
12:5 “Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?”
12:6 He said this not because he was concerned for the poor, but because he was an embezzler who kept the money bag and took from it.
12:7 Then Jesus replied, “Leave her alone, so she may keep it for the day of my body’s burial.
12:8 For you always have the poor with you, but you won’t always have me.”
12:9 Many people of Judea therefore discovered he was there, and they came not only for Jesus, but that they might also see Lazarus, whom he brought back from a dead body.
12:10 But the chief priests planned to put Lazarus to death also –
12:11 because on account of him, many Judeans were leaving because they were believing in Jesus.
12:12 The next day, a multitude came to the festival. When they heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem,
12:13 they took branches of palm trees and went forth to greet him, chanting, “Hosanna: Blessed is the one who comes in the Name of the LORD - indeed, the spiritual leader1 of Israel.”
12:14 Jesus found a young donkey and sat on it, as it is written,
12:15 “Fear not, Devoted2 of Zion, behold your leader comes, seated on a donkey’s colt.”
12:16 These things his disciples did not understand at first, but when Jesus was glorified, they remembered that these things were written of him, and they had done these things for him.
12:17 Those people who were with him when he called Lazarus out of his tomb and revived him from his dead body testified about him.
12:18 This was also the reason why many people went to greet him - because they had heard he performed this miracle.
12:19 So the pharisees said amongst each other, “See, we are not prevailing, as the world has gone after him.”
12:20 There were also some Greeks among those who came to worship at the festival.
12:21 These men came therefore to Philip, from Bethsaida of Galilee, and inquired of him saying, “Sir, could we see Jesus?”
12:22 Philip left and told Andrew, and then Andrew and Philip told Jesus.
12:23 And Jesus replied, saying, “The time has come that the Servant of Humanity shall be exalted.
12:24 Very truly I say to you, “If a kernel of wheat doesn’t fall to the earth and die, it will remain alone. And should it die, it will bear much fruit.
12:25 One who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it, to live eternally.
12:26 If someone serves me, he will follow me; and wherever I go, my servant shall also go. And my LORD will honor one who serves me.
12:27 Now my mind has become troubled; and what shall I say, ‘Creator, save me from this time?’ But it was for this purpose that I came to this time.”
12:28 “LORD, glorify Your Name.” Then came a voice from the heavens: “I have already glorified it and will glorify it again.”
12:29 Thus the crowd who stood by and heard it said it had thundered while others said, “An angel spoke to him.”
12:30 Jesus answered them, saying “This voice came for your benefit, not mine.
12:31 Now this material world is condemned; and the chief of this world will be cast out.
12:32 But if I were to be exalted by the world, everyone would become exalted with me."
12:33 He said this to indicate how he would separate from his body at the time of death.
12:34 The crowd then responded to him, saying, “We understand from scripture that the Anointed by God [Messiah, Christ] will remain eternal; so how can you say, 'The Servant of Humanity must be raised?' Who is this Servant of Humanity?”
12:35 Thus Jesus said to them, “For a little while longer, the light will be among you. Walk while you have the light, so that darkness will not overwhelm you. One who walks in the darkness knows not where he goes.
12:36 Trust in the light while you have the light, so you may become followers of the light.” Jesus spoke these things and then went into hiding from them.
12:37 Yet even though Jesus performed many miracles in their presence, still they trusted him not.
12:38 This fulfilled the teaching of Isaiah the Prophet which said, “LORD, who trusts our instructions and to whom has the power of the LORD been revealed?”3
12:39 Thus they could not believe, because Isaiah also said:
12:40 “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, so they could not see with their eyes nor understand with their heart, nor turn – and I would heal them.”4
12:41 These things Isaiah spoke because he saw His glory and spoke of Him.
12:42 Nonetheless, many of the officials also believed in Him, but because of the pharisees they did not confess, or else they’d be cast out of the synagogue.
12:43 For they loved the approval of men rather than the approval of God.
12:44 Then Jesus spoke loudly, saying, “One who trusts in me does not trust in me – but in Him who sent me.
12:45 One who perceives me perceives the One who sent me.
12:46 I appeared as light in the material world so everyone who trusts in me will not remain in darkness.
12:47 If one hears my instructions and does not follow them, I do not condemn him; for I did not come to condemn the world, but to rescue the world.
12:48 Yet one who rejects me and does not follow my instructions will be condemned: The teachings I spoke will condemn them at the time of death.
12:49 For I speak not from myself but the Creator Himself who sent me gives me instructions as to what to teach and what to say.
12:50 I know His instructions are eternal life; therefore the things I say, I say just as the LORD has taught me.”


Footnotes:
1. Verse 12:13. The Greek word βασιλεύς (basileus) can mean “leader of the people,” “prince,” “commander,” or “king.” Here the people – made up of many of Jesus’ students and disciples – indicates a reference to Jesus as their spiritual leader. Additionally, "of Israel" indicates not a nation or government, but to the followers of the Prophet Israel – Jacob. Thus Jesus was "of Israel" – indicating his inclusion within a succession of spiritual teachers that began with Jacob.

2. Verse 12:15. This verse refers to Zechariah 9:9. The Greek word θυγάτηρ (thygatēr) and the Hebrew word בַּת (bath) (from Zech. 9:9) might indicate a daughter, female cousin, sister or another woman in the context of relationships of the physical body. But in the context of one’s spiritual relationship with God, the word means, according to the lexicon, “acceptable to God, rejoicing in God's peculiar care and protection” – this indicates the word “devoted.”

3. Verse 12:38.

“Who has trusted our message and to whom has the power of the LORD been revealed?” (Isaiah 53:1 NIV)
The Greek word βραχίων (brachiōn) and the Hebrew word זְרוֹעַ (zĕrowa`) can mean either “arm” or “power.” The Greek word πιστεύω (pisteuō) and the Hebrew word אָמַן ('aman) mean, “to trust” or “believe.”

4. Verse 12:40.

[God speaking to Isaiah] “Make the heart of this people calloused; make their ears dull and close their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed." (Isaiah 6:10 NIV)