Gospel of John Chapter Twenty

20:1 On the first day of the week, early in the morning and while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw the stone had been moved aside from the tomb.
20:2 Then she ran and went to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken the Master from the tomb and we don’t know where they have laid him.”
20:3 Thus Peter and the other disciple left and headed for the tomb.
20:4 The two were running together and the other disciple ran faster than Peter and arrived at the tomb first.
20:5 He bent down and saw the linen cloths lying there, but he didn’t go in.
20:6 Then Simon Peter arrived behind him and entered the tomb, and he saw the linen wrappings lying there.
20:7 And the face cloth that had covered his head wasn’t lying with the linen wrappings but was rolled up in a place by itself.
20:8 The other disciple – who arrived first at the tomb – also went in. He saw, and had faith.
20:9 For they had not yet understood from the Scriptures that he would rise from the dead body.
20:10 Thus the disciples returned to where they were staying.
20:11 But Mary remained outside the tomb weeping. As she wept, she bent down and looked into the tomb;
20:12 and saw two angels in white sitting – one at the head and one at the feet where the body had been lying.
20:13 And they said to her, “Madam, why do you weep?” She replied, “Because they have taken my Master and I don’t know where they have laid him.”
20:14 As she said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there but did not recognize that it was Jesus.
20:15 Jesus said to her, “Madam why are you weeping? Who are you seeking?" Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him and I will take him away.”
20:16 Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to him in Hebrew, “Rabboni!” – which means Teacher.
20:17 Jesus said to her, “Don’t hold on to me, for I have yet to ascend to the Creator. Instead go to my brothers and tell them that I am ascending to my LORD and your LORD - my God and your God.”
20:18 Mary Magdalene left and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Master.” And she told them those things he said to her.
20:19 Thus when evening came on that day, the first day of the week – after the doors were shut where the disciples stayed, for fear of the Jewish officials – Jesus appeared and stood among them. He said, “Peace be with you.”
20:20 And when he said this, he showed them both his hands and his side. The disciples then rejoiced when they saw the Master.
20:21 Thus Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Creator has dispatched me, I also dispatch you.”
20:22 And after he said this, he instilled within them, saying, “Hold fast to the Holy Spirit.
20:23 If you remove the sins of anyone, their sins have been removed. If you take the sins of any, they will be taken."
20:24 But Thomas, one of the twelve – named Didymus – was not with them when Jesus appeared.
20:25 Thus the other disciples said to him, “We have seen the Master!” But he replied to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger into where the nails were, and push my hand into his side, I won't believe it.”
20:26 Eight days later his disciples were again inside, and Thomas was with them. Jesus appeared - though the doors were shut - and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.”
20:27 Then he said to Thomas, “Reach here with your finger and see my hands. And reach out your hand and put it into my side – and do not mistrust. Have faith.”
20:28 Thomas replied and said to him, “My master and my lord!”
20:29 Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen me, you now have faith? Happy are those who have not seen yet have faith.”
20:30 And Jesus performed many other miracles in the presence of his disciples – which are not written in this text.
20:31 But these are written so you may trust that Jesus is the Anointed of God [Messiah, Christ] and the Representative of God; and trust that you will have life on account of him.